Thursday, 4 August 2011

Almost The Weekend


I keep encountering this common conversation at work that happens in office hallways and elevators. I’m sure you know this conversation: One person turns to the other and asks “How are you doing?” and the other slumps in exhaustion and goes on about how much work they have. Now , after this point, I’ve noticed that this conversation can go pretty much one of two ways among polite people; either the original person gives their sympathy for the second person’s hard week or they say something along the lines of “Well, It’s almost the weekend!”
I’ve found this “Almost the Weekend” conversation to so pervasive as well as amusing that I would sometimes experiment with my responses…such that I once got a coworker tell me on Monday, “Well the weekend is only a short 5 days away!”

How interesting that we as office workers spend 5 days a week wishing it was those magical two days a week!

Now that I’m starting to live life more fearlessly, I wonder how healthy this way of thinking is. Granted, I’ve heard the benefits of delayed gratification and certainly there seems to be no harm in looking forward to happy times when you are going through a particularly rough time…but is it really that healthy?

I remember this Ted Talk by Renee Brown where she talked about some of the principles of happiness and said that when we suppress one emotion, we suppress all of them. So when we deny yourself grief or anger, we're actually suppressing our ability to feel happiness and joy. She goes on to say that instead of denying our feelings, we should embrace them, accept them as a part of us and we would go a long way to being much more compassionate towards ourselves. That’s why she says the act of being vulnerable is essential to being happy.

I wonder if this applies to our sense of time as well.

Certainly I hear, all to often, that the coveted weekend was way to short and there wasn’t “enough” time to rest, recreate, ect… I wonder if we weren’t spending so much of our week wishing we were somewhere else, perhaps we wouldn’t be suffering from time going too fast.

I decided that I’m going to try an experiment: I’m going to plan to do something artistic, something magical, and poetic three times a day, while I'm at work. Instead of taking a coffee break or lunch break, I will work some sort of personal improvement into that time. Coupled with the fact that I’m trying to be more present at my job emotionally and mentally, I wonder if I could, in fact, slow down time and maybe not feel the sting of weekends passing from me too quickly.

I wonder if time is very much like the saying: Life is what you make it.


 
"Everything in your life is there as a vehicle for your transformation. Use it!" – Ram Dass

No comments:

Post a Comment