Thursday, 10 March 2011

Portrait Painting Class - Matthew cont.

I'm really starting to like this new way of taking my time with each piece. I finally finished the face and neck last night (3rd layer) and while I know I could do more, I think I'm going to focus on finishing up the piece next class. There is a point where you can overwork a portrait and I don't want to do that.
I was impressed at how well the mix of Ultramarine Blue and Raw Sienna compliments Matthew's skin tones. I think the blue grey background fits nicely, especially since I will be working in the blue shirt he is wearing in next week's class.

Besides the fascination with technique, the whole aspect of realism painting is becoming very zen for me. My painting time each week is turning into this haven of calm...something I look forward to. I laughed and called it "my form of Nirvana" the other day, but it's really becoming true: I just "feel" better when I paint. You can't really think about your life and the world around you while you are there in front of the canvas. There is just too much that goes into thinking about color, form, and how everything is relating to each other. Honestly, I can't think of anything else that compares to it...maybe yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment