Thursday, 3 March 2011

Portrait Painting Class - Matthew cont.

Last night we worked on continuing with Matthew's portrait. I have a good solid second layer and was able to get the eyes in. I found that using a flesh toned green (yellow ochre + cobalt) works really well in bringing out the orange tones around the outside of his eyes. I also found the cool layers of skin where the stubble was forming around the mouth was also particularly challenging. It's pretty easy to go too dark too fast, and forget that the upper lip, while a cool shadow, is still pretty light because it's reflecting the light. I think I had to go over that area almost 5 times before I got it right.

In all, I'm really pleased where this piece is going. I'm looking forward to next week where I can get in the greater highlights and work on the wrinkles in the neck and face.

No comments:

Post a Comment